Thursday, September 28, 2006

Conversion Workshop Session #4 Sat 9/30 9:00-???


Here is a photo of my workbench.

The treadmill motor was cheap, and it will operate the power steering pump and the air conditioning compressor. I will need a controller because the motor is 130VDC and my battery pack will be 144-156V. I also do not want to run the motor at full 6000 rpm, probably around 4500 rpm would be better.

The vacuum pump was cheap too, and pretty neat. It is a rotary vane so it does not vibrate like the piston pumps. It is pretty quiet too, running about 3 amps or less on 12-30V. It has a brushless DC motor. I took it apart and replaced the hall sensors and she purrs like a kitten.

I have a pretty cool vacuum pressure controller coming in the mail from eBay: ZSE5B-02-27L http://www.smcetech.com/CC_catalogs/smc/pdf/ISE5B.pdf

Work plan:
- remove engine (really may happen this time!!)

I bought a strut spring compressor which should help disjoint the axles.
I found a manual showing the removal of the axles (needs to be done before the engine can come out).

Hey the Probe needs brakes! We can do a future workshop on just brakes. Disc brakes. Front and/or rear. Any interest let me know. Disc brakes are easy, don't let Les Schwab take your money! Bring your car over and we can do yours too.

Rick Barnes
Aloha, OR

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People should learn more about energy alternatives like electric cars. The new ones coming out are way better than gas cars. One of the main electric car companies, Zap, has delivered more than 100,000 electric vehicles (source: www.zapworld.com). EV’s cost 1 to 3 cents per mile to run, compare that to regular cars!